Seller Pre-Inspection Checklist
It is this time of year when the home selling season is hot that issues from home inspections are at their peak. One the top concerns we experience aren't generally from the inspection itself, but sellers not being ready for the home inspection. Below is our checklist to prepare our sellers for a smooth buyer inspection.
Seller Pre-Inspection Checklist:
• Confirm that gas, electric, and water service to the home are on.
Inspection reschedules are generally at seller expense.
• Confirm that gas and water shutoff valves for individual appliances and
components have been turned on and all pilot lights are lit (furnace, water
heater, cook tops / ovens, wall and floor heaters, sinks, toilets, etc.).
• Make sure all access openings for the attic, water heater, furnace, electric
panels, etc are clear, accessible and that equipment is not obstructed by
• Make sure all locks are removed or unlocked from gates, doors, electric
panels, etc., or that keys are available at the time of the inspection.
If the home is occupied then I also suggest:
• Ensure pets won’t hinder the inspection or get loose.
• Test all smoke & carbon monoxide detectors. Replace any batteries if
• Clean or replace any dirty HVAC filters.
• Replace any burned out or missing light bulbs.
• Ensure the dishwasher is empty of all dishes or stored items so that it can
be run through a partial cycle without soiling clean dishes.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.